Polarization Control Platform
The Luna NRT-2500 is a versatile Polarization Control Platform, offering multiple built-in polarization control functions for optical transponder, device and sub-system development and manufacturing.
Luna's industry-leading polarization control platform combines an integrated-optic Lithium Niobate (LiNbO3) waveguide polarization-controller device for super-fast polarization response driven by customizable digital signal processors and field programmable gate arrays (DSPs/FPGAs) for full functional flexibility. Together they enable Luna to provide an unprecedented seven polarization operations in one product.
- Paddles (Set Polarization) - Full polarization control by rotating any of the 5 electro-optic 1⁄4-wave plates to achieve the desired SOP setting with high accuracy, repeatability and resolution.
- Scrambler - Uniform polarization scrambling with full Poincaré Sphere coverage and user-selectable Rayleigh distribution scrambling rates.
- Depolarizer - A single-speed, ultrafast random scrambling mode to reduce the degree of polarization (DOP) of the measured signal or to introduce an extremely fast ΔSOP Impulses for lightning simulation and loop testbeds.
- Spinner - Superfast SOP rotations/scrambling up to 940,000 rad/sec for characterizing the new generation coherent PM-QPSK transceivers.
- Tracker - Fast, robust, and endless polarization tracking with no dropouts or ‘glitches’.
- Acquirer - Acquirer is the automated ‘smart’ paddles mode to drive the SOP to maximize or minimize a feedback signal.
Insertion loss < 3dB PDL < 0.3 dB Optical return loss > 50dB Optical power handling <20 dBm Operating wavelength 1.55 microns (C- and L-bands) Optical connectors FC/UPC, FC/APC, SC Scrambling mode (SOP speed distribution) parameters2 rmode≡b0.5 < 3,400 radians/second, with <r> ≡1.25 rmode, rmax~3.76 rmode Enhanced spinner mode rate 75kHz (or >470,000 rad/sec for SOP aligned in S1-S2 plane) SOP slew speed ~1.4 microseconds (up to 1,500,000 rad/sec)3
Tracking speed (closed loop in tracking mode)
~20 microseconds4 Power supply
12 VDC from 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz wall AC-DC converter
Communication interface Ethernet, RS-232 Dimensions
D= 12.32" (313mm)
2 For a Rayleigh distribution: rmode is the statistical mode of the distribution, <r> is the mean SOP change, and 99.9% of all SOP changes occur before rmax=3<r>~3.76 rmode
3 For π/2 radian SOP transitions in 1μs.
4 This speed is feedback/update algorithm loop time based on reading A/DCs and DESP speed and updating polarization controller voltages. The feedback signal level and customization of the algorithm may slow system response.
For full specifications, please download the data sheet.
- Optical Polarization Demultiplexing
- PMD tolerance testing of transponders
- Optical polarization demuxing
- Testing electronic pol-demux
- Optical PMD compensation
- Coherent detection
- Detector calibration
- Ultrafast ∆SOP/∆t event generation
- Power combining